ELIJAH AND THE PROPHETS OF BAAL
1 KINGS 18:16-46
1. What is so exciting about a showdown between long-standing rivals?
READ 1 KINGS 18:16-46
2. Whom did Elijah hold accountable for Israel's troubles? (18:18)
3. What groups did Elijah want to assemble? (18:19-20)
4. How did the people respond when Elijah confronted them with their double-mindedness? (18:21)
5. How did the people respond to the confrontation Elijah proposed between Baal and God? (18:22-24)
6. How did Elijah taunt the prophets of Baal when their god did not ignite the sacrifice? (18:27-29)
7. What preparations did Elijah make in the sight of the people before he prayed to God? (18:30-35)
8. How did Elijah address God in prayer? (18:36-37)
9. What happened to the altar of the Lord when Elijah prayed? (18:38)
10. How did the people react when they saw fire burn up Elijah's offering? (18:39)
11. What vengeance did Elijah exact against the prophets of Baal? (18:40)
12. What prediction did Elijah make to Ahab concerning the drought? (18:41)
13. In what attitude did Elijah wait for the Lord's answer? (18:42-44)
14. What happened when the power of the Lord came upon Elijah? (18:46)
15. Why do you think stories abound with clear showdowns between good and evil?
16. Why does sarcasm cut to the core of our self-respect?
17. What measures did Elijah take to make the lighting of his sacrifice much harder than the sacrifice to Baal?
18. What did Elijah perceive that God was doing in Israel through this showdown?
19. To what extent is God obligated to answer our prayers to vindicate His own name?
20. How can we be confident of the power of God yet humble about our ability to dictate anything to Him?